Monday, July 31, 2017

Christmas Snowflakes Card


*** This card was chosen as  Favorites of the Week on Splitcoast Stampers. Happy me!! ***



Shopped a different Mikes on Saturday as we were passing through and happy we stopped. Mikes now sells their #110 weight card stock in colour packs. In the past they have sold packs of black, white, and cream but now they sell packs of colours. I bought a pack of the blues card stock. This is the first card I made using that coloured card stock.

Awhile back Taylored Expressions had a sale and they offered a bundle price for various stamps and dies -- like a mystery box. I had never bought one of their mystery bundles but decided I would give this a try. Much to my surprise this was a good buy --- inside this mystery bundle was this stamp and die set:


Winter Wonderland is the name of this set. For the card I made I used the different snowflake stamps and the matching snowflake die set. This stamp set has greeting stamps for the front of a card as well as a stamp for the inside of the card so it is a good set to have on hand since it is altogether in the one set.

To make this card I used a piece of the blue #110 Mikes card stock and I scored that with the score line at the top of the card. Cut two piece of the white/GP card stock and stacked those on top of each other and ran them through the Cuttlebug in a snowflakes embossing folder by Darice. (I always emboss two pieces of card stock at a time for a softer embossed piece and this also prevents the embossing to tear or rip the card stock). Trimmed one white embossed piece to 4" x 5 1/4" for the card front. (Put the other embossed piece with the embossing folder for another card later). Using the ATG I put the embossed piece onto the blue card stock base and set it aside.

Using a rectangle frame die I cut out a blue frame for my card front. For the snowflakes piece in the frame I used vellum by Bazzill. Cut a piece of vellum larger than I would need for my card front and I wiped a Bounce dryer sheet over that. Randomly stamped the snowflake stamps on it using VersaMark ink. Covered this with silver embossed powder and heat set that. (Whenever I heat emboss vellum I heat set it from the back of the piece and not the front). Trimmed it to the size I needed to fit behind my blue frame. Put the embossed vellum piece behind the frame piece using red sticky tape. Cut a piece of white/GP card stock and put that behind the vellum. Set this aside:


The holiday greeting "very merry" is stamped using Delicata silver ink onto scrap white card stock. Cut this to the size I wanted and put it on a piece of the blue card stock cut a bit larger:


Put this greeting on the bottom of the card front. Using a piece of white craft foam I put the framed snowflake piece onto the card front. For the silver glittered snowflakes for the corners of the frame -- the larger snowflake was cut out of glittered card stock from Hobby Lobby using the snowflakes die from the Taylored Expressions bundle and then I used a single snowflake punch from M Stewart for the blue snowflake. Put these together with a glue dot. Added a silver bling to the center of that and put them onto the frame using glue dots:


For the smaller snowflake on the upper left corner of the frame I used a corner snowflake punch and then a snowflake border punch, both from M Stewart, for that. Put those pieces together using clear craft glue since they are so small. (Used a toothpick to apply the glue):


IRL this card is shiny and sparkly but that was hard to capture with the camera.  As usual the stamps from Taylored Expressions stamped well and the dies cut through the glittered card stock with one pass in the die cutting machine. Easy card to put together. Very happy Mikes is selling their #110 weight card stock in colours now. Had not seen the coloured packs of their #110 weight card stock at my local Mikes but will check with them when I stop in again for these.  Nice weight for your card bases. Plus using a coupon makes these packs of 100 sheets economical. TFL

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

This looks like a great set of snowflakes! Love how they shimmer and shine!