Thursday, July 27, 2017

Tom Turkey Treat Box


Used the Tom Turkey die from Frantic Stampers for the front of this treat box -- link for the how-to's of this box by Bona on Youtube is in the post below. I made a box for Halloween following her directions for her box:


Although I liked the shape and size of the box for Halloween I wanted to make a smaller box using this pattern for Thanksgiving so I adjusted her pattern for a smaller sized box. Here is my Tom Turkey Treat Box:


For Thanksgiving I decorated this smaller box simply. Used Saddle brown card stock from Close To My Heart for the box. The embossed front panel is cream card stock and I used the WRMK Woven embossing folder for that. Cut a piece of printed card stock and put that across the bottom of the embossed piece using the ATG. With the box flat I put the embossed front piece onto the box using the ATG. Trimmed a piece of printed card stock for the top flap of the box and put that on the box. Set the flattened box aside.

Used a Sizzix rosette die for the rosette but I wanted a two toned rosette -- the rosette die cuts two rosettes at a time -- larger and smaller -- but when you put these together the rosette is very high. To keep the height down I cut out two pieces of card stock using the die. When that was cut I laid the smaller rosette piece on top of the larger one - used a glue pen and put glue on the larger rosette piece and put the smaller rosette piece on top of that -- pressed it with my fingers to get the glue to stick the two prints together:


Folded this into the rosette shape and used the hot glue gun to keep it flat. Wanted a crystal for the center of my rosette but I only had the larger crystals in clear -- so using a light rust Sharpie I coloured the crystal and now it matched the rosette:


Here is a photo to show two rosettes - the one one the left has two rosettes stacked and the one on the right is the rosette I used for my box -- by putting the two prints together it is flatter and it still gives the rosette a look of dimension and even with the crystal on it it is not so high:


The stacked rosette is not on the scalloped piece and it also does not have the crystal on the front of it. If it did it would be even higher.

Used a scallop punch and punched out a scallop from scrap tan card stock to put the rosette on. Used the Tea Dye distressed ink and sponged the front and the edges of the Rosette. Set this aside. Using scrap brown card stock, lined with Stick It sheet from Ken Oliver, I cut out "give thanks" and put this on the top flap of the box.

For the sides I used trimmed printed card stock pieces and die cut leaves. Put these onto the box while it was flat. For the turkey I cut him out of printed card stock and kraft card stock. Sponged the edges of his body and the feathers piece using brown ink. Set him aside. Here is a photo of the box sides:


With all parts done I assembled the box. Put the turkey on the box front using pop dots for dimension. Put the rosette on the top flap of the box using tear tape. Cut a velcro circle in half and that is how the box stays closed. Here is a photo of the Tom Turkey box next to the BOO Day box to show the difference in size:


Another cute box using the pattern by Bona -- a big thanks to her for sharing that and to Debra Rogers for making her video showing her boxes!  TFL

No comments: