Sunday, June 18, 2023

4th of July Treat Holder

Recently I received the sale email from I-Crafter on their dies. I ordered this Apron Card die set by Lori Whitlock:

This die set makes an apron card and not a box but I figured I could easily turn this into a treat holder for the 4th of July. This die set also is more for baking than cooking out so I used this die set along with an Apron die set from Divinity Design. Here are photos of each die set I used for my box:


Here is the treat holder I made:

For the oven mitt and utensils I used the dies from the Divinity set and for the apron front, back, and pocket I used the dies from the Lori Whitlock Apron Card die set. Here is a closer photo of the oven mitt that shows the details on this die:

To turn this card die into a box die first I used a yellow sheet of card stock - left on the work table from another project. I used scrap white card stock to make my box insert. I did these two in different colours so it was easy to see how they fit together. Here is a photo of the sample box I made showing the white box insert bottom to the box:

First I die cut the yellow front and back apron pieces and put them together using tear and tape. With that done I measured the actual size this made - front and sides. For my box bottom insert I wanted to add 1/2 inch to all four sides so my box bottom insert measures: 4 1/2 x 3. With that cut I scored all four sides at the 1/2 inch mark. Creased the scored lines well with the bone folder. Clipped the corners and used liquid glue to put the box insert together. With the box made I went onto my blue treat holder:

I die cut the front and back pieces for my apron box using royal blue card stock. I also used a rectangle die in the Apron Card die set and cut two side panels for my box from printed card stock. I used the front panel die piece to cut the printed card stock for the front and back of my apron. I used liquid glue to put the printed card stock pieces onto the blue apron front and back pieces. With the plaid card stock on the blue apron pieces I then creased all score lines on the apron pieces.  I used tear and tape to put the front and back pieces together. 

I cut my 4 1/2 x 3 box bottom insert piece and I scored and put that together. To put the box insert inside the apron I used tear and tape. I kept the tape backing on the box insert piece and dropped this box piece into the apron piece. Once in place I used a pokey tool to pull the backing off the tear and tape on the front, back, and sides of the apron. Here is a photo looking down into the apron box showing the box insert piece:

For the front pocket - I wanted to add a white scallop trim to the solid blue pocket so I pulled out my rectangle dies and I have a rectangle scalloped die set by Spellbinders and I used a small die to cut out a white scalloped rectangle. I trimmed off the top scallop from this piece so it would fit the blue pocket piece. From scrap red card stock I die cut the oven mitt and I used liquid glue to put the mitt onto the back of the blue pocket piece. From scrap silver card stock I cut out the fork, spoon, and spatula and used the liquid glue to put these on the back of the blue pocket piece. With those in place I used tear and tape and put the pocket piece on the white scallop piece. Then I put this on the front of the apron using more of the tear and tape. With the plaid card stock I wanted a scallop piece behind the pocket to give it more dimension. 

Also since this is plaid card stock for the sides of my box I die cut the plaid pieces on an angle so I would not have to match my plaids on both the front and back of the box:


I used an older patriotic stamp from my stash and I stamped that onto white card stock using royal blue ink. Used a circle punch to punch that out. Punched out a larger red circle to put behind the greeting piece and I put this circle greeting on the front of the apron pocket.  Easy die set to work with and easy to turn it into a treat holder for the holiday. I can fill the box with treats or use a clear bag and put the treats in that. Also like that it is free standing so can use it as a table marker as well. Fun treat holder to put together for the holiday ahead. More photos of other treat holders I made:


Used red and kraft card stock for the box and bottom. For the printed card stock I used a flag print for the front, back, and sides of the box. . For the utensils I used brushed silver card stocks. 



No comments: