Sunday, February 4, 2018
Brusho Valentine Card
Had seen this card from France Martin AKA Frenchie Stamps on Youtube:
I have never used Brushos before but Stampin Up was now selling a set of 5 of the Brushos for $30.00. That seemed high to me and since I liked Frenchie's card I figured I would use the Brushos again so shopped around.... found a set of 12 colours on DickBlick for $32.97 so I ordered a set from them:
Here is a photo of my Brushos once I removed them from the box and got them ready for use:
As Frenchie explains no two cards will look the same. The Brushos react to water and depending on how much water you use or the card stock you use the Brushos can be different each time. Not having used these before I paid attention to her tips on her video and here is my card:
For my card -- my card stock base is Lipstick Red card stock from SimonSaysStamp. The watercolour card stock is Canston. For the gold speckles on the card front I stamped a background stamp from the Stampin Up stamp set Gorgeous Grunge using VersaMark ink. I used Stampendous Jeweled Gold embossing powder and heat set that. With the embossing done I misted this piece with water and sprinkled the Brushos on -- very little Brushos goes a long way. Set this aside to dry.
Now for the heart and "love" die set Frenchie had used on her card. . . . That is from the Stampin Up die set Sunshine Wishes. I have bought other die sets over the years from Stampin Up but I will say this die set turned into a nightmare ... ... ... grrrrr .... First it felt like the dies would bend trying to take them off the paper packaging ... I tried to remove them slowly but even then the paper and tape residue came off on some of the die pieces... only thing to do? Get the Goo Gone....
Took all the die pieces and put them in a plastic pan from the dollar store I have in the craft room and I spritzed the Goo Gone onto the dies. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and then I was able to get the paper packaging and the tape residue off the die pieces. Then I had to wash them with dish soap to get all the Goo Gone off the dies.... once dried I put them on a magnet sheet and they were ready for use. Here is a photo of this die set:
With those ready to be used I cut the heart die out of a scrap piece of the Lipstick Red card stock that I had Stick It sheet on the back. For the "love" word I cut that out of gold foil card stock that I put Stick It sheet behind. Also wanted the "love" word to be thicker on my card front than the heart so I also cut out the word "love" from a card board tab top to a kleenex box -- 'klipboard'. With the "love" word pieces cut out I was ready to assemble the card.
Using the ATG I put the Brushos card front onto the Lipstick Red card base. Peeled off the Stick It sheet behind the heart and put that on the left front side of my card. With the card board and foil words cut out I peeled the Stick It off the gold foil word and put it on top of the card board word. Using a glue pen behind the card board word I put this over the heart on the card front over one side of the heart. Here is a photo (not great) of the "love" word over the heart to show it is higher:
This next photo shows the sparkle and shine the embossing powder gives the card front:
IRL this card has a lot of sparkle and shine which plays nicely against the Brushos background. A big thanks to Frenchie for sharing her card and for making the use of Brushos on a card front look easy!! AND IT IS! :0) TFL