Sunday, December 23, 2018
Einstein has left the building . . .
Love when I see a card out in the "internet universe" only to not be able to find an original post or the how-to's or anything.... but it is what it is.... Here is my version of that card and the how-to's to how I put mine together:
Wanted to make this card since it seemed simple to put together and it has a rustic look which I wanted. Where to begin?
I already had the snowflake die used for the white snowflake for the center of the card so thinking I was set to go the process began.... Die cut my snowflake using #110 weight card stock from Mikes. With that cut I measured the width/length of the snowflake so I would know what size circle behind it I would need. I used the Layering Circles die set from Stampin Up and die cut a white circle using white/GP card stock for the larger white circle. Using a smaller circle die from that die set I cut out a green printed circle, a red printed circle, and an ivy printed circle. Figured to get this circle look for the card I would die cut the printed circles, find the center of the circle on the back side using a ruler, and then cut these circles into quarters and WA LA !! I would have my pieces for my printed circle to go behind the snowflake.... Great idea but wrong! Here is a photo of the first attempt to this circle:
Looked great and should work... until it didn't -- not all the pieces would line up to make a perfect circle so off to plan B....
This time I used copy paper and die cut the same larger circle I used for the white circle on the card. With the copy paper circle die cut out I folded it in half and then into quarters - using that folded copy paper circle in quarters and a pencil I traced the quarter circle shape onto the backside of the printed card stock. Took it to the trimmer and trimmed it on the pencil lines. Did this twice with the ivy print and once for the green and then the red which gave me the four circles. Here is that photo:
To put these printed pieces together first I had cut a second larger circle from white/GP to use as a base and I covered that with the ATG for adhesive and then put the four quarter pieces onto that. With all the pieces on the circle base I used the smaller circle die I needed for this printed circle and die cut that out:
After my printed circle was cut:
By making the printed circle larger than what I needed and then cutting it down to the circle size I would need using the smaller circle die this circle would have even edges and have a more finished look. With this printed circle cut out I put it onto the white/GP larger circle using the ATG.
For the snowflake I die cut the white snowflake out of the heavier weight white card stock from Mikes. For the light brown snowflake I used a smaller snowflake die and cut it out of the SU Crumb Cake card stock to match the card stock base for my card. Layered the two snowflakes using glue. Set these aside.
Using the SU Banners die set I die cut a banner that was a bit smaller than my white circle behind my snowflake/circle piece. Die cut that using white/GP and stamped a greeting on that using red ink* from Impression Obsession and the stamp is also theirs. For the card stock base I cut and scored a piece of the Crumb Cake card stock at the top. Using a pencil and ruler I made a light pencil line across the front of the card base. Using a piece of the red printed card stock I cut that to about 3/4" wide to put across the card front using the pencil line to keep it straight. Put that onto the card front using the ATG.
Put the greeting banner onto the red printed strip piece with tear and tape. Put the circle die cut pieces over the top of the banner using the ATG. Put the snowflakes piece onto a pop dot and put them in the center of the printed circle piece. Using a small snowflake die I cut out snowflakes from white glittered card stock. Put three small snowflakes onto the card front using glue dots. Added a red crystal to the center of the snowflakes piece. This card turned out well once I figured out how to make it . . . but clearly no Einstein in this craft room!! ;0)
* Red ink - My plan for this card was to use a darker, richer looking red ink for the greeting. Figured my best bet would be to use my Stampin Up Cherry Cobbler ink to match the red on my prints. Here is a photo of both my Raspberry Ripple and the Cherry Cobbler ink pads:
Now a photo to see them opened:
SOOOO not happy with the bumps and mess on each of these ink pads. I do not understand what is wrong with either of them - I do not store my ink pads near a window or the heat or air conditioning vents or on their sides. They are stored in a stamp pad holder from Organize More and I store other brands also in this holder and none of the other brands have ever done this so clearly it is the formula that SU uses for their "new" foam ink pads. But happy to say the red ink from Impression Obsession is a good Christmas red and it worked well for this card. Needless to say these two ink pads are no longer usable for me...