Saturday, December 10, 2016

Embossed Trees Christmas Card

Had recently bought the "Christmas Greetings" stamp set from Gina K Designs for a gift bag with matching tag I was making:


Once that project was made my next project was this card that I had seen Gina K make up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_53eUtngyfU&t=162s

This card uses the tree cluster stamp for the card front and as I watched the video I thought to myself 'this can't be this easy'... but it was. Here is the card I made:


I will say most card makers probably make their card and then pick out the ribbon/trims... but for this card I wanted to use this ribbon and so I made a card using Stampin Up Pool Party card stock to match my ribbon.

If you should watch the video there are no sizes given for the pieces for the tree and the solid card stock behind it. I will explain sizes I used. First:

Cut and scored the Pool Party card stock for the card base. Set that aside.

Using white/GP card stock I cut that 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 for the embossed piece. (If you follow my blog you know when I emboss I always use two pieces of card stock in the folder at a time. This prevents the card stock from having rips or tears on the embossed piece. It also gives you a softer looking embossed piece). I used a swirls embossing folder by Sizzix and embossed the two white/GP pieces in the Big Shot. Once embossed I took one embossed piece to the trimmer and trimmed it down to 4 x 5 1/4 for the card front. To add the ribbon I put double sided Scotch tape behind the embossed piece and cut a piece of ribbon for the right side of the card front. Put the straight ribbon onto the embossed card front piece. Used the ATG to put this embossed piece onto the card stock base. Set this aside.

My tree panel piece looks a bit bigger than hers in the video and these are the sizes I used: (Approx)

The white piece is: 3 5/8 wide by 3 1/4 high. The Pool Party piece behind that is 3 7/8 wide by almost 3 3/8 high. Before I did any embossing I stamped my greeting on the lower right corner using a small stamp from the SOL Mini Tags stamp set. The ink I used for that is SU Sage Shadow. With that stamped I used the tree stamp from the Gina K Designs "Christmas Greenery" stamp set and I inked that using VersaMark ink. Covered that with white embossing powder and heat set that.

Set that piece aside to cool. Took a smaller piece of ribbon and tied it onto the ribbon on the card front. Used scissors to trim this to the size I wanted. With the trees embossed piece cooled I sponged SU Pool Party over the trees, as explained in the video. Put this piece onto the smaller Pool Party piece using the ATG. Put dimensionals behind the trees piece for dimension. Here is a photo to show the shine the embossed trees have on the card front:


This card went together quickly and it is very pretty IRL. Happy I have already made two projects with my new purchase from Gina K. Thanks to her for sharing this ever so pretty Christmas card on her Stamp TV channel. TFL  *** Just received an email letting me know this card was chosen as one of the Favorites of the Week on Splitcoast Stampers. Will email the Gina K website and let them know and thank them for the easy layout and great video how-to.  TFL

2 comments:

mamawcindy said...

Getting ready to make Pumpkin Pies for the Church Christmas Party tomorrow and thought I would stop by real quick. Loved seeing your latest creations. Love the Bag and your Card Is so pretty. I need to try that technique. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!
cindys-greencricut.blogspot.com

Bonnie said...

I can definitely vouch for the fact that both of these projects are even more gorgeous in person! Thanks for both, Candee! We are enjoying the benefit of your creativity! The card would fit at CAS Mix Up if you're interested in joining in! It's so pretty we want as many people as possible to enjoy it! Stay warm! Hugs, Bonnie.