Sunday, October 7, 2018

So... what do you get? ? ?


So..... what do you get when you have Halloween, Fall/Thanksgiving, and Christmas cards and projects all started and in process at the same time????

ONE MESSY CRAFT ROOM!!!    grrrrrrrr.... but having fun so guess it is worth it.... This next post is something I just finished that I had no idea I was going to be working on.... stumbled across this while I was looking around for Thanksgiving treat bags - -  I am making treat holders for Thanksgiving and already using scarecrows and also pumpkins..... Had wanted to work on the kraft bags I bought to hold the treat holders and was not sure how I would decorate them --- so I stumbled across a video on Youtube and that was it.....

The video is by Ida at Created to Create on Youtube.  She has lots of videos with great ideas and simple projects and once I saw her watering cans that was it - I have the Sizzix Watering Can die she used as well as the word die set she used but not the product she used for her patina finish on her watering can. Used what I had on hand for my watering can but did make a run to Hobby Lobby for the crystals she used for the water coming out of the watering can spout. Also -- the theme for my Thanksgiving treats and treat bag is rustic so my watering can is a darker colour than Ida's but it will work well for my bags. I am also using my watering cans as an embellishment to tie onto the gift bag handle as a tag:


Here is the link to her video with all the how to's for her project:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9su9MnuO8Y&t=583s

To begin with I have chipboard in the craft room but it is very thin so I measured the watering can die and cut two pieces of the chipboard a bit larger than the die. Using liquid glue I put the two chip boards together to make it thicker. Set it aside to dry. For my watering can I decided I wanted the bow on the can to match the card stock I used for the back of my watering can so I used a bow die from my stash and cut out a bow. Put it together using glue dots. Die cut out a watering can from the same printed card stock for the back of the watering can.

Using the dryer vent foil tape by 3M Ida uses I cut two pieces of the foil tape for the front of the chipboard piece. Peeled off the backing and put them onto the chipboard smoothing them out with my finger:


Die cut out the watering can:


The foil tape side of the watering can will be the front watering can for the project. As Ida had suggested I used black acrylic craft paint and I dabbed the paint onto the foiled piece using a tissue - dab it on - do not rub it on or it will come off the foiled finish - here is the watering can with just the black paint on it:


On my finished watering can you will see I used scrap printed card stock for the band on the front of the can so I did not use the foil covered band piece that the die cut out with my original die cuts. Once the black paint was put on and dried I added various craft paints I had on hand - a rust, a brown, then gold Perfect Pearls, (used a thin paint brush for the Perfect Pearls), then rust paint, and then rust Perfect Pearls, letting it all dry in between. It does not take long for drying since you are using so little paints. I wanted my can to be rusty looking and have a gritty texture but in this photo you can still see the silver foil tape under all the layers of paint and Perfect Pearls:


The messier you apply your layers the better the finish will look. After my last layer was added I set the piece aside to dry and I worked on the "thankful" greeting.  Die cut the die from scrap rust textured card stock. Wanted it to be dimensional so also cut this out of the top tab to a kleenex box:


Before I die cut the two "thankful" words from the rust card stock I put Stick It Sheet behind this piece so when I cut out the words they had adhesive on the back of them and then I put them on the kleenex box words. Wanted to add sparkle to the word so I used a clear Wink of Stella over the word to add sparkle:


This photo shows the printed card stock I used for my band on the can that I put the "thankful" word on top of. It also shows the bow with a gold crystal in the center of that. For the pumpkins and leaves below the band on the watering can I used pumpkin buttons I had in my stash:


Used wire cutters to snip off the button shank on the back of the button to make the pumpkins flat:


I also used a green marker from SU for the leaf and stem part of the pumpkin to add colour. I was happy that I had the "fill" shapes from Hobby Lobby that Ida uses on her watering cans so I used three of those leaf pieces under my pumpkin on my watering can:


I used a hot glue gun to add the leaves and pumpkin to the watering can front.  This is a better list of how I assembled this watering can tag:

Die cut the chipboard covered in silver foil tape
Die cut one watering can from printed card stock for back of project
Dab on the paints to the watering can foil tape covered front and also added Perfect Pearls
Die cut the band in printed card stock and one layer of chipboard - adhered them together with glue
Die cut and assembled bow
Die cut "thankful" and put Wink of Stella on that.
Put "thankful" on die cut band piece using liquid glue
Cut off pumpkin button back and used green marker for leaf/stem part
Get out three foil leaves from "fill" bag
Used scissors and snipped off three crystal pieces for "water"
Put red sticky tape on back of spout and put the three crystal pieces on that
Covered the printed back watering can piece with liquid glue and put it on the watering can back
Using glue I put the word/band piece onto the watering can front
Used hot glue for the leaves and pumpkin
Put bow on front using glue dots
Added gold crystal to center of bow
Used small circle punch for can handle to tie on my twine to hang onto gift bag handle

Easy project to make and have a few more to put together but am sure each one will be different - once they are all done I will post a photo to show how they all turned out. I just made one to begin with because I was not sure if I would like how it would turn out since I do not have the products Ida uses for her patina on her watering cans. Here is another photo that shows the printed paid card stock on the back and how it covers everything up and gives it a more finished look:


Here is a photo of the crystal garland I picked up at Hobby Lobby and I bought the small one:


Cute idea of hers to use the crystals to mimic water - adds movement to the project:


Happy me their holiday items were on sale so I did not have to pay full price .... which left me with my 40% coupon from their weekly flyer..... last time I stopped at this Hobby Lobby the paper crafting aisle was bare of dies and such.... was not a happy crafter.... first they discontinue carrying their brand products - Paper Studios -- no dies or embossing folders -- and then I walk down a bare aisle with products gone, etc... Since I was there anyways for the crystals trim I again stopped at the paper crafting aisle and am HAPPY to say they sell Crafter's Companion dies now .....  I bought the Red Nose Reindeer die to add him to the craft room. They had other dies as well but only bought the reindeer but am happy the aisle was filled up again and that they are carrying this new brand to them. I am hoping that continues..... Always nice to have a store to shop that does not carrying the same old, same old that all other stores carry . . .

A BIG thank you to Ida for sharing her watering can idea on her video and all her how-to's. I am glad I will have something else to add to my Thanksgiving treat bags besides a scarecrow or just more pumpkins!  Ida has great ideas and lots of videos to choose from depending on what you are making. Glad I stumbled across her Fall videos while looking for something else as I had never seen any of her work before. Am sure I will be watching more of her videos for future projects.

Here is another photo to show the watering can die by Sizzix for Tim Holtz:





5 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful watering can! I love all the colors that look rusty! The crystals are a perfect way to add water!

Brenda said...

Love your watering can Candee! It looks great and I really love the gems for the water. Very cool idea from the other lady. Off to watch her video. Hugs, Brenda

Anonymous said...

Dear Candee, Just finishing reading my newsletter and watching Ida's video. I made a list of products used that I think would be nice additions to my stamping supplies. Appreciate your list of assembling the watering can and have several dies that your rusty look will be used on. Question--where will I find the Tear It Sheet you mentioned using when cutting out the word 'thankful'. Thank you for your help. Hugs and smiles, Reva

Candee said...

Thanks Reva, Brenda, and Bonnie for your blog visit and nice comments on the watering can. First Reva -- it is STICK IT SHEET by Ken Oliver -- I had written Tear It sheet but that is a mistake. You can buy this online from Scrapbook.com, Joann.com, Createforless.com. Blick Art and others also sell it. It is inexpensive and goes a long way. Certainly makes a cleaner item since you are not trying to deal with a liquid glue. Stopped @ Mikes tonight and bought some other colour paints so will be making the other watering cans next weekend that I need for the Thanksgiving treat bags. Thanks again ladies!! Candee P

Anonymous said...

Thanks Candee for quickly answering my where to find the STICK IT SHEET. Appreciate you so much. Hugs and smiles Reva