Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Stormy Night Halloween Card


Had seen this video by Shelly Godby featuring the new Stampin Up bundle "Spooky Fun".  I wanted to buy this bundle and when I saw her card featuring it I decided to take the plunge. Here is the link to her video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAnhADLeYTI

As she suggested I used the curved die piece from the Stampin Up bundle Floral Phrases to make the stormy clouds on the card front.. I was happy I had bought that set before -- here is the die piece and the heavier black card stock I cut out as she suggests to use for a template for clouds on my card front:


I used a heavier weight card stock for my template so that it is more sturdy and will stand up to multiple projects I am going to use it on. Here is a photo of the stamp set this die piece matches:


Thanks to Shelly for her tip using this die piece for a stormy clouds background and here is a Halloween card I made with the tips she offers in her video:


I used Stampin Up black card stock for the card base. White is GP and the gray is from Mikes. I cut and scored the black card stock base. Then cut the white/GP to the size I wanted for the card front. Set these aside.

For the gray piece I cut that a bit larger than I would need and used my template and sponged gray ink onto the gray card stock for the clouds. I was careful to turn over the template as Shelly suggests while sponging the clouds on so it looked natural and did not make a stripe look or anything. With the stormy clouds done I next cut out the tree die from Stampin Up black card stock:


For the moon, like Shelly suggested, I used a 2" circle punch and sponged the edges of that with a light ink and then sponged Stampin Up Pumpkin Pie over that on one side of the circle to give it dimension. Used the ATG and a glue pen to put the tree piece and the moon onto the gray card piece. Trimmed this gray piece to the size I wanted for the card front. Using the ATG I put the white/GP piece onto the black card stock base. Then put the gray piece onto that also with the ATG.

Stamped the greeting "happy halloween!" with Memento black ink on the lower left side of the card. Using the fence die in that bundle I cut out a piece of Mikes kraft card stock and sponged that with a light brown ink. Cut it to the size I wanted and tucked it under the tree piece using a glue pen. Using a punch from the dollar bin at the craft store I punched out a black cat from scrap card stock and put that on the card front in front of the fence piece:


The tombstones were stamped with black ink and cut them out using the matching die. Did that again for a second piece and I cut that set of three tombstones apart with scissors and put them onto the card front using glue dots.

The small bats are punched out of scrap black card stock using a dollar bin bat punch. Put the bats onto the card front using a glue pen:


Thanks to Shelly for "thinking out of the box" for using the Floral Phrases die set piece to make the stormy clouds on her Halloween card. Her video also shows you how to cut a wider piece for your trees and grassy ground on the card front. BOO to you!   TFL

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

What a great "spooky" sky, Candee! Love all your fantastic Halloween projects!

Brenda in IN said...

Love this stormy sky you made and I hope it isn't because your sky looks like that from Matthew. Thinking of you and hoping you aren't flooded and you are okay. Great Halloween card.