Thursday, September 21, 2017

Mummy Halloween Card


Recently bought the Stampin Up Jar of Haunts stamp set off Ebay and wanted to make a few Halloween projects with it. This card went together faster than I thought it would - once I figured out all the stamps I wanted to use. With that decided it all fell into place -- here is my Mummy card:


To start with -- had seen many of the mummy jars stamped, sponged, or just left plain for the cloth wrapping the mummy. I wanted the cloth on my mummy to have some texture/pattern like cheesecloth would have. Decided to start with stamping the mummy stamp onto white/GP using Memento black ink. I stamped three of the mummies for the photo to show how I added detail. With the three mummies stamped I used the Everyday Jars die set to cut out the mummies.

I did not want my mummy cloth to be too dark but I needed to make a mask for the face of the mummy. I stamped the mummy stamp again onto a Post It note and fussy cut the face piece using scissors. In my photos you will see my Post It note is a bright pink. With the face mask cut out I pressed that onto the die cut mummy. For the texture on the cloth I used the Stampin Up background Linen stamp and covered that with their Crumb Cake ink. I put the die cut mummy face down onto the Linen stamp and pressed it onto the inked stamp to get the inked pattern onto the mummy piece. Did this once and lifted it up and turned it slightly and put it down on another part of that inked Linen stamp. By doing this twice it gave me the pattern I wanted and it was not too dark. Here are my mummy pieces to show the finished mummy:


With the Linen pattern on the mummy cloth I peeled off the face mask and used a sponge and sponged my edges of the mummy using the Crumb Cake ink. IRL you can see the white face shows up against the inked mummy cloth but the photo does not show this well. I added clear Wink of Stella to the eyes of the mummy for some sparkle:


Set the mummy piece aside to dry. Using the pumpkin and pumpkin face stamp from that same stamp set I stamped the pumpkin and face onto Stampin Up Pumpkin Pie ink. Cut the pumpkin out with scissors and sponged the edges. Set that aside. For the greeting Trick or Treat I used a stamp from the Stampin Up stamp set Spooky Cat and stamped that with black ink onto a scrap piece of brown card stock. Punched that out using the Stampin Up Washi Label punch. Sponged the edges with the Crumb Cake ink. Put black craft foam for the back of the greeting label:


For this card I cut and scored a piece of #110 weight black card stock from Mikes for the card stock base. Cut a piece of purple card stock for the card front and put a piece of black dotted card stock onto that. Put these pieces onto the card stock base using the ATG.

For the white card front - wanted to add green to the card front but only wanted a hint of green. Cut a piece of white/GP card stock to the size I wanted to for the card front.  I used the Stampin Up River Rock ink and inked up the Stampin Up Weathered background stamp that looks like a crackle pattern. Laid my white card front piece onto the background stamp and pressed that onto the stamp to transfer that inked pattern onto the white piece. Sponged the edges of that with the River Rock ink and set it aside. This photo shows this background pattern:


With my greeting label, mummy, and pumpkin pieces all ready for the card front I laid them out in the layout I wanted. Stamped the pumpkin stamp onto a Post It note and cut that out for a mask for the pumpkin piece. Laid this onto the card front and stamped the leaf/stem stamp where I would need that to be. Removed the mask and used a blender pen to add colour to the stem and leaf piece. With all stamping finished I put the white card front onto the card stock base using the ATG.

Cut a piece of spider web washi tape for the card front. Put that near the bottom of the card. Used the ATG and added the die cut mummy piece. For the pumpkin I wanted it to sit higher on the card front for dimension but did not want to use pop dots as it would be too high. Used glue dots to put the pumpkin piece onto the card front and I doubled up on the glue dots -- stacked one on top of the other and this gave my pumpkin a little height over the thickness of the mummy piece. Used double sided tape to the put the greeting piece on the card front. Stamped the spider from this stamp set onto the card front randomly. Added small sequins using clear glue and a toothpick. Added clear Wink of Stella to the pumpkin face for a little sparkle. TFL

No comments: