Sunday, May 31, 2020

Halloween Rosettes


When the Sizzix/Tim Holtz Rosette Thinlits came out I bought a set. I had seen him demonstrate this die set on YouTube and he made the rosettes a different way than I had been making mine so I tried his tips/tricks and made a set of rosettes. Each rosette turned out evenly and went together quickly. Before I had seen his video I did not have great success making rosettes - either too much glue, the wrong adhesive, too bulky, etc.. But this new thinlit die set works great and his assembly tips make making rosettes simple. Here is a photo of this rosette die set:


To start with I have been working on fall/holiday items in the craft room and I decided to make rosettes for BOO Day treat holders. Here is photos of the nine rosettes I have completed so far:




To begin with I used card stocks from my stash -- some are double sided and others are not. Once the rosette strips were die cut out I used tear and tape and put them together and creased them on their scored lines:


On my no stick craft mat I stood up all the rosettes and for each one I put a dot of hot glue in the center and pushed the rosette into the round shape into the dot of hot glue and held it there, pressing on it with my finger, until the hot glue cooled. Here is the back of the rosettes after this was done:


You can see a small amount of hot glue on the back of the rosette. I used a 1" circle punch and punched out circles from scrap card stock for the rosette backs:


and the front of the rosettes ready for decorating:


For my Halloween rosettes I used different circle dies from my stash and die cut out a decorative circle to put the rosette on. Then I used scissors and cut out a circle of sparkly tulle to go on the front of the decorative die cut circle. I also cut a small piece of black eyelash yarn to put over the tulle circle.  I put the rosette on top of the tulle. Each of the rosettes has a glittered spider web which is from the stash. I had bought this spiderweb tulle in a roll at the Dollar Tree a couple of years ago and I had used most of it for the front of Halloween treat bags I had made in the past:



I used scissors and cut out some of the glittered spider webs from this left over tulle in both black and silver as well as black and orange:


Once I put the spiderwebs on the rosettes I added the ghost die cuts I had made earlier. Some of the ghosts are from glittered card stock and others are from white foil card stocks. I used various word dies from the stash and die cut "spooky" and "Trick or Treat" from glittered card stocks. I used a small star punch and bug punch and punched out a few of those in different colours. I used Beacon 3in1 glue to layer the rosette and pieces and to put the words on the ghosts I used Glossy Accents. I also used that to put the ghosts over the spiderwebs on the front of the rosettes. For the rosettes that I added sequins to I also used the Glossy Accents for those.

Here is a link to the video for this die set - very easy to make rosettes not and they all turn out even and kept their shape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP6BhhN0gys&t=29s

This thinlit die set also cuts both thinner and thicker card stocks easily including the scored lines.  Glad I had seen his video for his thinlit rosette die set as making rosettes should be easy with good results every time.  Working on other projects as well but wanted to get the rosettes posted before I move on to the next project.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Way to go, Candee! Love those ghostly rosettes!