Sunday, August 2, 2020

BOO Blocks and Bits

Supposed to be cleaning up the craft room from working on all the BOO Day (Halloween) projects I have been working on . . . .   While putting things away I came across a basket of unused wooden blocks from Stampin Up that I had not mounted my stamps on.  Long ago had seen many crafters use their unwanted wooden blocks for holiday decor projects and of course this turned into a "some day" project on my list. . .  until now.  Here is a photo of my BOO Blocks I made using my unused wood blocks:

With all the projects I had worked on for Halloween I had a bunch of die cuts and punched pieces in a bag waiting to be used. I took the bag to the craft table and pulled out items I wanted to use on my blocks. To start the project I die cut out all the glittered letters. I put each glittered letter on top of two regular card stock letters that I glued together to give my glittered letters dimension on the blocks. With the letters done I pulled out blocks that the letters would fit on. I measured each block and cut out scraps of printed card for each block - here is a photo to show my original die cut letters and the prints:

I painted all my blocks using acrylic paints I had in the stash - I used five colours and I used the black paint twice for the letter blocks. I also pulled out smaller blocks to put my jack o lantern pumpkins on and I painted those blocks as well. I set these all aside to dry. With the blocks drying I went back to the card stock prints I had trimmed for each block. I had sponged the edges of these prints after I cut them out but I decided to use the distressing tool on the edges to give them a rougher look.

I laid out the prints on the work table and decided what bits and pieces I would use from the scraps bag for the blocks - this is when I had to decide if I would use a "theme" for decorating all the blocks or if I would just decorate all the blocks separately and then put them together. Looking at all the scraps I had in the bag I decided to just do each block as it's own and then put them all together as they were. Once I had started to decorate my blocks I made the decision having all the glittered letters being black would not work so for two blocks I die cut new letters using glittered orange card stock and one letter from the glittered silver card stock. I die cut those and put the layers of the letters together and set them aside to dry.

I put the printed card stocks onto the wooden blocks using matte finish Mod Podge. For three of the blocks I added a small piece of washi tape and I also used the Mod Podge over the washi tapes:

As for the little blocks with the jack o lantern pumpkins they are not attached to the larger blocks so you could put them on top of the letter blocks or between the blocks:

I used crystals from the stash and added them to the blocks for some sparkle and shine. The mini ghosts on some of the blocks are from a single die from Impression Obsession. I did use a star punch to punch out glittered stars from scrap card stock to add to the blocks. Also I wanted a small pumpkin for the "O" and the "Y" block so I used a small oval punch for those. Punched out three ovals and sponged the edges and put them together and added a stem. This smaller pumpkin fit perfectly on the letters on the blocks.

Easy project to put together for BOO Day. Nice using things I already had on hand and did not need to go to a craft store and buy. Glad to put to use the new wooden blocks from the basket as well as card stock printed scraps and the left over pieces from Halloween projects.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Awesome! I bet your house looks fabulous for Boo Day!