Sunday, July 21, 2024

Candy Cane Card

A new die set just released from Spellbinders "Candy Canes and Holly" was used for this card:

For my card I used a red card stock base scored at the top:

The candy cane in this die set comes with the candy cane stick die and then another die cuts out the smaller pieces you cut out of red and put onto the white candy cane stick. Very easy to assemble. Last year I had bought the candy cane die set from Honey Bee Designs and that was not easy to assemble so happy this was a very easy die set to put together. 

For my small poinsettia I used the Poinsettia die from Scrapdiva Designs and scrap red card stock. I cut out the flower and layered it together and then added a gold pen to the edges of the flower and then went over that (once dried) with a gold glitter pen. Here is a close up of the flower:

I used the holly leaves from the Candy Canes and Holly die set and doubled those up and then sponged the edges with green ink. I used gold twine and put that behind the flower using a glue dot:

For the white lattice background behind my candy canes I used the Lattice Background cover plate die from Ellen Hutson and cut a piece of white card stock to go behind that for the card front. Used liquid glue to add the lattice piece to the white card stock front piece. 

For the candy canes - first I die cut the two candy canes and put all the die cut red pieces onto the candy canes but when I crossed them on each other they would be too high for my card front:

So I cut out two more candy canes, decided where on the cane I would cross these, and then added the red pieces, leaving off the red pieces where I was going to cross the canes for stacking:


Leaving off those red pieces on each cane where they cross lets this be flatter on the card front so the poinsettia flower I added lays flatter on the card front. These candy canes went together easily and the candy canes are a nice size for the card front. 

I ordered this new die set with another new die set from Spellbinders on their website:

Two fun die sets for holiday projects ahead. The candy canes will also look nice on gift tags for Christmas gifts. 



No comments: