Sunday, November 6, 2016

Glossy Ornament Card



Had seen this video on Youtube by Kay Kalthoff:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvLMXH8-4Q

Here is my version of her card with some changes I made. To begin with I cut and scored the Stampin Up black card stock base. For the embossed white card front I used the same embossing folder she had used on her card.  I just bought mine used off Craigs List, "Snow Burst" by Stampin Up. As she did I used the glossy white card stock from Stampin Up for the embossed piece. Having never embossed SU glossy card stock I decided it could turn into trial and error . . .

Whenever I use any embossing folder and any card stock I always emboss two pieces of card stock at a time. This gives a softer embossed piece and having the second piece of card stock helps to prevent any tears or rips on my embossed card stock pieces. But decided I would emboss only one piece of the glossy card stock at first to see what happened. Here is a photo to show some of the rips and tears on the single piece of glossy card stock I first embossed:


The second attempt I used a piece of glossy white card stock in the embossing folder glossy side up and put a piece of plain white card stock, the same size, over the glossy card stock piece. Ran these through the die cutting machine to emboss them. Opened the folder and took out the two pieces of card stock and separated them. Here is the front of that embossed glossy card stock now:


Having the plain card stock on top of the glossy card stock prevented any of the rips and tears to the embossed piece. Used the ATG and put this embossed piece onto the black card stock base. Then cut the two panel pieces -- black and glossy white for the ornament panel.  Unlike the video I stamped my holiday greeting onto the glossy white panel piece using a holiday greeting stamp from the Stampin Up Hostess stamp set Good Greetings using StazOn black ink.

Using a Post-It note, as suggested in the video, I lined that up for the ornament punch on the white panel piece. I used silver shimmer card stock by Ranger for the ribbon punch piece across the front of the ornament. My red glittered card stock is from Hobby Lobby. Here is a closer photo of my ornament panel:


Had taken a holiday card making class yesterday by Bonnie Klass and we used a bow maker for one of the bows for our cards -- had not used my bow maker in forever.... so for this ornament card I pulled out the bow maker and made my silver bow for the top of my ornament. Here is photo to help show the shine of the glossy card stock:


Having never used glossy card stock to emboss with I was not sure if this would turn out but am happy with the second attempt....   The camera does not really capture the shine of the glossy card stock with the shimmer and shine of the glittered card stock and ribbon on the ornament. Thanks to Kay for sharing this idea and making her video for Youtube. This is a quick and easy card to make and would be a good card for multiple holiday cards -- just change out the glittered card stocks for different colours.... TFL

No comments: