Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Sometimes -- who knew? ? ?


Have looked at my Hobby Lobby in the past for the faux leather ribbon spools but until last week I could not find any.  Ribbon spools were 50% off last week so I stopped in my Hobby Lobby and was happy to see they had a variety of theses spools.  I picked up three different spools for some future projects. First I bought one of the rolls of the glitter faux leather:


On that I used a steel ruled multi butterfly die to cut it out:


The steel ruled die cut right through this thicker ribbon with ease. This next photo is of a second ribbon spool and I want to use this for a Christmas project:


This red and black check faux leather has a more vinyl finish and once cut out using a steel ruled bow die it almost seemed "floppy" due to weight.  Decided the bow steel ruled die was too large for the project I would use it on so I decided to use a thin die and see if that would cut this ribbon. This is a photo to show the back of this checked ribbon showing it is woven:


I thought with the woven back that maybe I would have more success if I cut this with the die pieces on the back rather than the front of the ribbon. I used the medium bow die from Pink & Main:


I ran the die through the machine front to back and using one piece of a card shim. The Pink & Main die cut through the woven ribbon with no problems! Happy surprise for me -- here is a photo of the larger bow and the smaller Pink & Main bow together:


Using the smaller bow die the smaller bow holds it's shape well and it is the perfect size for my next Christmas project. Happy the thinner metal dies can cut through this woven ribbon. These spools are sold in a 24" x 8" size - less than a yard - but with the smaller dies I will be able to cut out a lot of ribbons using the smaller die set. Wished the check pattern was a bit smaller but happy the smaller die was able to cut through it for my bow!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Never hurts to try does it Candee?! Love this ribbon and love how your bows look cut out in it. Hugs, Brenda