Last weekend went to the stamp show in Chantilly, VA and I bought this die set from the clearance basket at the Heartfelt Creations booth:
I had seen a card done by Heartfelt Creations using this die and since it was discontinued I figured I had better pick it up while I could. I searched for other cards made using this die and since I needed a masculine birthday card I decided to make this card first:
I had seen a card by Jeane V on her blog and she had the how-to's to get these colours on the die cut pieces for her card:
Did not have all the products she used but used what I had on hand. First I cut out scraps of #110 weight white card stock from Mikes for the gear die cut pieces. Then added a red, blue, and brown distress inks to my die cut pieces:
With that done I then used the Walnut distressed ink to over the die cut pieces. Using the dark brown ink over these pieces really knocks down the red and the blue:
Did not have the inks she used to add the finish to the die cut pieces so I used Perfect Pearls since they were already in the craft room. Used a cup of water and a small paint brush and I added the bronze, then the gold, and then the silver Perfect Pearls to these pieces:
With the die cut pieces cut out, then the distressed inks added, followed by the Perfect Pearls I set these pieces aside and worked on the rest of the card:
Cut and scored the Crumb Cake card stock base. Found a dark plaid printed card stock in the stash and cut a piece for the card front. Cut a piece of rust card stock smaller for the card front. Using scrap cream Close To My Heart card stock I embossed a piece using a diamonds embossing folder. Once that was done I cut it to the size I wanted for the front of the card. Using the distressing tool I distressed the edges of this piece. Using the Walnut stain sponge I added colour over the embossed piece.
Stamped "Happy Birthday" onto scrap Close To My Heart cream card stock for the greeting piece. Cut it to the size I wanted for the card and trimmed a piece of rust card stock to fit behind that. Put these together using the ATG. Using the ATG I put the plaid and the rust card stocks onto the card base. Used a piece of brown dotted card stock across the front of the card. Put the embossed piece on top of that. Using the ATG I put the greeting piece on the card front.
For the gear die cut pieces I used two brads that are screw heads and one square brad. Cut the gear pieces apart and put them on the card front using glue dots and liquid glue. Added a few pieces of the chain die cuts. Here is a closer photo of the shine on the gear die cut pieces:
Thanks to Jeane V for sharing her card and her how-to's to get the card stock die cut pieces to have a metal finish look to them. TFL