Saturday, March 28, 2020

Embellishment Pouches


Had recently seen this video by "Crafty Crafts by Deanna" on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpeaefBeg9A

I followed her video and pattern and made my first embellishment pouch:


This is a very easy project to put together and I knew once I had the first one done for Easter die cuts and flowers that I would want to make one for my favorite holiday -- BOO Day. But.... here is a photo of my finished BOO Day embellishment pouch but . . .


I decided I would change a few things -- First I will show photos of my BOO Day pouch in progress. The pattern is for an 8 1/2 x 10 piece of solid card stock for the base of the pouch. I used black card stock for mine and I scored it following her pattern with the 8 1/2 side at the top of the scoreboard:
1/4, 1/2, 3/4 then at 7 3/4, 8, 8 1/4. Turn and score at:  3 1/4, 3 1/2 then at 7 3/4, and 8.

Here is a photo of my scored card stock:


Once scored I trimmed the piece as she shows in her video:


and I discarded the cut off pieces. For the prints for my pouch I cut my printed card stocks slightly larger than her pattern. For my top two flap pieces (black polka dot pieces) I cut those at 6 /78 x 1 7/8. For the back of the pouch piece (chevron piece) I cut that at 6 7/8 x 3 1/8. The front lower pocket piece is cut at: 6 7/8 x 4 1/8. Here is a photo of my printed pieces:


As she had suggested I used a corner rounder punch for my front flap piece and the two black polka dot prints I will put the on the front flap piece. The first pouch I made the brad rings as she suggested but I knew my BOO Day pouch would get lots of use so I doubled up on my brad rings by punching out two 1/2 circles for each brad piece and I glued the two circles together both for thickness and durability. I marked the center with a pencil and punched that out with a small circle punch for the brad to go through. Also on this pouch I measured where I wanted my brad rings to be so they would be evenly spaced on my pouch.

With the brad rings put together I used the ATM and put all the printed card stocks on my black pouch base - for both my pouches I used a directional print for the pocket front so be sure if you also use a directional print that when your pouch is closed your print will not be upside down. With the prints all added to the pouch base I added the brads to the piece. With that done now I used my teflon bone folder and creased all the scored lines.

To closed the pocket I did as she suggests in her video - I used tear and tape on the edges and also used liquid glue to make it stronger. I will be using my BOO Day pouch for lots of die cut pieces so this will help with wear and tear. Once I closed the pocket I put clothespins on the sides of it until my liquid glue dried - it did not take long - but the clothespins will keep it in place for drying:


These pouches are simple to put together and you can use scrap printed card stocks and each pouch can be made from one 8 1/2 x 11 card stock so it is economical to make. When using lots of die cut pieces for projects these pouches will help keep me organized - esp when I do not have a lot of time in the craft room but only enough time to cut some die cut pieces for later projects.

Thanks to Deanna for sharing her Embellishment Pouch pattern and for the inspiration!!  Here is a photo of the two pouches I made this morning:



1 comment:

Bonnie said...

This is a much more interesting way to save those embellishments than a plain envelope! Very clever!