Friday, August 17, 2012

Season for Tags #2

Can't really make holiday tags with Santa and not tags with snowmen . . .   but as I began this project I soon found out the Murphy's Law theory can apply to the craft room....  :9(      Knew I had a Sizzix die for snowmen but it is Snowman #2 and too large for the tag size I was using. . .   ah ha --- knew I had the Martha Stewart punch to build a snowman but on the size tag I was using he was quite small . . .  rather than hop in the car and head to the craft stores I decided I would have to just make my own snowman.... I may be creative and crafty but have difficulty drawing a circle -- even if I trace a nickel . . .  but I have many of the circle punches so what to do???


Trial and error --- what I did was use white card stock from GP (Georgia Pacific @ Walmart). I cut the card stock sheet in half and ran my tape gun all over the one side. Then I put the other half of the white card stock on top of the adhesive piece. I then smoothed this out with my hands. This will give me a more sturdy snowman for my tag as it is a double layer. I will be using pop dots behind him on the tags and the double layer will help to prevent him from getting bent or ripped. I ended up with both tags using two punches for my snowmen. See below:



The tags are from the tag die by Sizzix Tags, Scallop Combo #2 and I used the largest size tag. I cut them out of Kraft paper from PaperTreyInk. The blue tag I used scrap blue card stock for the top and cut out about 1/3 of the tag with that so I would have a tag topper of this. Then used snowflake card stock from Hobby Lobby for the print and also cut that out with the die and used 2/3  of that on the tag. Then used a small scallop punch and a small circle punch for the greeting. I used a stamp from the Stampin Up Holiday Sampler for that. Used SU Bashful Blue ink for that and also sponged that on the edge of the blue piece and then the edges of the tag. The snowman for this tag I made using a 3/4" circle for his head and the body is the  1 1/4" circle punch. Once I had those together I again sponged the edges of him with the blue ink. Used twigs for his arm from the Sizzix Snowman #2 die and his hat is the Build a Snowman punch from Martha Stewart. Cut out a scarf for him and clipped the ends of his scarf so it looks like fringe. Added two blue ribbons for the top and he is done.

The Kraft paper tag on the right is just Kraft paper from PaperTreyInk and I put that in the Snowflakes embossing folder in the Cuttlebug. This folder is from Sizzix and it is the Plaid and Snowflakes set. For this snowman I wanted him to be larger so I used a 1" circle punch for his head and a 1 1/2" circle punch for his body. I sponged SU Sahara Sand ink on his body. For the tag I spritzed Shimmer Mist on it for an extra 'pow' factor. The camera did not capture it so I tried to take a different photo below that may show this. I also sponged the edges of this tag with the SU Sahara Sand ink.  I cut his hat out freehand and again used the twigs from the Snowman die. Used a small circle punch for the eyes and buttons on the snowmen. The red checked scarf is card stock from Joanns. Red and green ribbons are from the stash. Used pop dots behind the snowmen for dimension. Here is the close up photo of the brown tag:


To make a snowman like mine use two punches that are 1/2" different in size. Instead of a scarf of card stock you could use ribbon, raffia, or whatever. No rules here... TFL

No comments: