Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Turkey on a Stick . . . holder


Decided to make treat holders for Thanksgiving -- can be used as a table place marker or just as holiday favors . . . Love the turkeys you can make using the Stampin Up Owl Punch so I used that. I also used the 5 Petal flower punch and a scalloped punch from Stampin Up. Used scrap card stock for the turkey. For the sticks he is mounted on I bought a package of wooden sticks called "Woodsies" from Michaels. These are thin and measure 5 3/4" long which is the perfect size for my holder.

To begin with I used textured green card stock from Stampin Up and I used the Sizzix die "Bag with Scallop". This is a longer die as it has the bag and the sides on the same die. I have found if I use the crease pad that Stampin Up sells with these Sizzix dies that the creases/score lines are more prominent. This will help when you are using a textured card stock or perhaps a heavier card stock. Once the bag was cut out I used autumn/harvest patterned card stock from Debbie Mumm and put a piece on the front side of the bag with double sided tape. I then used red sticky tape for the pieces that are cut that make up the bag. This is what I made:



After I cut out the bag, sides, and adhered the patterned card stock to the front of the bag I then used the red sticky tape and put that together. I set that aside and began to make the turkey. He is made using the Stampin Up 2 Step Owl Punch and I used scrap card stock for the turkey and his tail. I punched the owl out of the brown card stock and then trimmed off the ears (ouch). I used a glue pen to put the pupils of his eyes on the white circles. Used glue dots to put those on the turkey face. Then I cut out with scissors a tiny square for his beak and folded that like a triangle. I used the Trio Flower punch from Stampin Up and punched out one flower from rust card stock for the wattle. I cut off petals from that piece leaving 3 to put with the small square for the turkey wattle. Adhered that to the turkey face. For his tail I used the 5 Petal Flower punch from Stampin Up and I punched one flower from rust and another from a gold tone card stock. Trimmed the
rust flower to 3 petals only and the gold flower to 4 petals and then put the rust piece in front of the gold piece and adhered those together. Then I used the Stampin Up 1 3/4" scallop circle punch and punched out 2 brown circles. Trimmed both of those pieces to having 10 scallops only. Put the rust/gold flowers on top of one of the brown scallops and adhered those together. Adhered the turkey to the front of this.  Used red sticky tape on the wooden stick and put the turkey on that centering him. I  used the second brown scallop circle and put that on the back of the stick so you will not see the stick from behind.

I closed the bag and put the wooden stick on the front of it and measured where the stick would be in the center of it. I used a pencil to mark either side of the wooden stick. Then using a square hole punch I punched off the top of the bag for the stick to go into the bag. The stick is slightly larger than the punch so I had to punch the first hole and then move the punch over to punch a little more off so the stick can easily fit in the hole. Once that was done I put the stick into the bag and made a pencil mark on either side of that on the front of the bag.  Removed the stick, folded the bag closed and then used a small circle hole punch and made the two holes for the ribbon to go through. You will be punching through the front scalloped flap, the front of the bag, and then through the back of the bag so it is three layers -- you will have to punch hard.

Once the holes were made I put the candies/treats in the bag and then put the turkey/stick in the top hole and then tied the ribbon. I used a larger piece of ribbon so it can be tied and untied easily. The candies/treats in the bag will keep your stick straight and also by not making a large hole for the stick will also help with that. Here is a photo from the back so if it is used as a place marker at the holiday table it looks finished from the back as well.

You can also add a name tag if you would like on the front of the bag or perhaps hanging off the ribbon or even on the stick. With the stick going all the way to the bottom of the scallop bag holder the turkey is not wobbly and the bag will not tip over. I did not have to cut the thin sticks at all as they are the perfect size for this project....   TFL

2 comments:

Ladybug said...

Candee, I just found a li'l slice of heaven ---- your blog!!!! :-)

I'm your newest follower and so looking forward to checking out your blog some more. :-)

Would love for you to visit mine:-
http://ladybuglair.blogspot.ca/

and maybe become a follower? ;-)

More so, tho, I would love for you to send me an e-mail. You can find my e-mail button on my side bar. (don't want to put it on here becuz of spammers) I have a gazillion questions I'd like to ask you. Well, maybe not a gazillion --- just a couple! :-)

Candee said...

Hi Linda--and welcome! I have tried to email you but it is not working but I did sign up to follow your blog and posts. Thanks for stopping by and for the nice comments! Candee P