Thursday, September 8, 2016

Scarecrow Box


Made one more Curvy Keepsake box for Fall -- a scarecrow. Had seen this video by Dawn Griffith on YouTube so wanted to make one myself. Her video is easy to follow and he went together quickly. Here is the link to her video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKHXXDimEgU

Here is my scarecrow:


I made a few changes for my scarecrow as I did not have the corrugated card stock she used. I also wanted the scarecrow face to have a light design to add a look of texture.

To begin with I cut out my two pieces using the Stampin Up Curvy Keepsake Box die set that is new-to-me. Once that was cut out I used a new-to-me SU background stamp Netting for texture on the pieces. I stamped the front, back, and sides of my box pieces with this stamp. For my box I used the SU Crumb Cake card stock. Using the SU Crumb Cake ink I stamped the box pieces. I also sponged the edges of the pieces. Set those pieces aside.

For the scarecrow face I used the same punches Dawn used in her video -- the black eyes are from the SU Owl Builder punch as is the little heart for the front of his hat bow. For the nose I used the SU Bird Builder punch and punched out one wing from SU Pumpkin Pie card stock. The cheeks are also the Pumpkin Pie card stock and I used a 1/2" punch for those. Used the Pumpkin Pie ink and sponged the edges of the nose and cheeks pieces. Used a brown marker for all the stitching as Dawn suggested. For the white dots on the eyes I used a white Signo pen. Once I punched out the two black circles for the eyes I put the white dots on them with the pen and set them aside to dry.

Now for the box assembly: I put the two box pieces together using tear tape. Then used the brown marker and drew a smile on the front of my box. (Keep this close to the bottom of the box so that you can see his eyes once his hat is on). With the mouth drawn then using pop dots I put on the cheeks and the nose pieces. Add clear crystals to the cheeks. Used glue dots and put the eyes on his face. Here he is with no hat:


Now onto the hat. In her video Dawn shows hats using a few different punches for the top of his hat. For my hat I used the Top Note Tag punch as she had done. I do not have the SU Corrugated card stock so I used kraft card stock from Mikes. Cut out two of the Top Note Tag pieces. Sponged the edges using SU Baked Brown Sugar ink. Punched out the Word Window punch from kraft card stock and then punched over that with a 2 1/2" circle punch for the hat brim. I scored the Top Note Tag pieces at 1 1/4" and put those two pieces together using glue dots. (Be sure to keep your glue dots at the top of your "hat" piece so you can put the hat over the handle at the top of your box).Now to get the corrugated look -- I used a Fiskars crimping tool and crimped this piece. Then crimped the hat brim piece -- be sure you use the crimping tool so the top of the hat and the brim pieces are crimped in the same direction.

I did not have burlap for his hair so I used brown paper shred from the dollar store and tear tape. I put all the "hair" on the hat brim while it was flat and then it looked like this:


Do not like that when the hat is taken off you can see this so I used the Word Window punch again on another piece of kraft card stock and punched that out. Then using a 2 1/4" circle punch I punched over that and that gave me the hat "lining" that I put onto this piece with tear tape and it just finishes it off for a neater look:


Now I used glue dots and put the top of the hat piece through the Word Window punch opening and it looks like this:


Using my fingers I creased the brim of the hat as Dawn suggests to make your hat look worn. Here is the little guy with his hat on:


For the bow I used the short cut I just learned for making the bow using the SU Bow Builder punch using fall card stocks. Added the heart from the SU Owl Builder punch with a glue dot and added a crystal to that as Dawn had done on her hat. Used glue dots to add the bow to his hat:


Scrunched up my trimmed paper shred hair with my hands and he is done. Here is a photo of him next to a Halloween pumpkin treat box I had recently made to show the height of his hat compared to the witch hat on the pumpkin:


This is an easy treat holder to put together and the hat is also easy to assemble once all your pieces are cut. Thanks to Dawn for sharing this idea for another cute treat holder using the SU Curvy Keepsake Box die set and for making the video with how-to's. TFL and YOLO

No comments: