Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Pocket Watch Bears


Had seen this project by Carol Hurlock:

http://chocolatecraftsandbearsohmy.blogspot.com/2013/09/cottagecutz-pocket-watch-beary.html

She has lots of projects on her blog but also many videos on YouTube.  She has an envious amount of dies in her stash and what she does with her dies is inspiring. I especially like how she uses a die for more than what the packaging shows.

I made two of the Pocket Watch Bears and they can be used as an ornament, a 3-D tag, or to hang on the handle of a gift bag. First is a photo of the dies I used for my bear project:


Here are the bear projects:


For the pocket watch base I cut it out of white #110 card stock from Mikes. Using a printed card stock from Hobby Lobby I cut out a circle of that using a Spellbinders circle die. I used the ATG to put the printed circle onto the white pocket watch die cut piece. Then I cut out 4 more of the white pocket watch die cut pieces for the layers. I used the same Spellbinders circle die to cut out the centers of the 4 extra white die cut pieces.  Using Turbo glue from Aleene's I glued the 4 cut out circles onto the solid white pocket watch die cut piece with the circle print on it stacking them so they are on top of each other. Set this aside to dry.  Here is what they looked like when I set them aside to dry:


On the back of both of my pocket watch pieces I used matching card stocks for the front of my watches and I left these die cut pieces solid:


I did not put the solid pieces on the back of my watch die cuts right away. The pocket watch on the left I decided to add a scalloped circle die cut piece so while that stacked watch piece was drying I die cut a scalloped circle and then used the ATG to put the stacked pocket watch piece onto the scalloped circle. I used the Turbo glue to put the solid pocket watch die cut pieces onto the backs of the layered pocket watches. (Carol had used a snowflake wreath around her pocket watch but I do not have a die like that so I used the scalloped circle die instead on one of the watch pieces and I left the second one plain).

Using the bear die from Cottage Cutz I cut two of those out and assembled the bears. I used a black thin Sharpie for the bear eyes and once dried I added a dot to the eyes using a white gel pen. I do not have the two bow dies she used so I die cut out the two bows and then used a smaller bow die for the printed bows on my pocket watches. Added a red crystal from the stash to the center of the bows.  For the poinsettias I die cut those from solid card stock. Used green card stock for the bough pieces as well as the mini holly vines. With the flowers and greenery cut out I laid them out and spritzed them with Pearls Shimmer Mist to give them a little sparkle/shine:


Once those were dried I trimmed the greenery pieces and put them together using Glossy Accents and set them aside to dry. For the "joy" on one of the watch pieces I die cut that out of gold foil card stock (AKA mirror card stock). I used the white #110 weight card stock and cut it out again and put these two pieces together using Stick It Sheet to give the word some dimension:


The heavier white card stock helps these thinner letters to keep their shape on the project.  I added a gold crystal from the stash to the poinsettias.

Here is a photo to show the Merry Christmas card stock I picked up at Hobby Lobby this week:


In the photo you can see the words have a foil finish which gives this piece some shine. For the other piece I used the music printed card stock from Hobby Lobby for the background:


Here is a photo to show the "fur" on the bear's hat is from white glittered card stock:


With all my pieces cut, put together and dried I decorated my watch pieces.  First I put pop dots behind the bear and put him at the bottom of the watch. Then put my poinsettia pieces with greenery on the stacked frame piece and then added the double bow pieces.  Using holiday ribbon I tied a piece at the top of the watch.

Here are more photos:



A big thanks to Carol for sharing her cute Pocket Watch Bears and for all the inspiration on her blog and YouTube videos!!  TFL

2 comments:

Brenda in IN said...

This is so cute. So clever and thanks for the link to Carol.

Candee said...

Hi Brenda - Carol Hurlock has such a talent using her dies! Her videos and blog are very easy to follow as well. Very inspiring and some projects are so pretty while others are so cute so she does a variety of occasion and holiday projects. Hoping you find some inspiration while watching her!! Thanks for your kind comment and your blog visit!! Candee P