Thursday, July 11, 2019

Scripts and Scraps Fall Treat Bag


Working on various holiday projects and am in the middle of treat bags for BOO Day (Halloween).  I am trying to use up scraps and bits and pieces of things for these smaller projects so while I was pulling out printed card stock scraps I came across what is left of a full sheet of printed card stock in my Halloween bin:


This parcel piece of scrap paper turned into treat holders for Fall using the Paper Bag die from Jaded Blossom:


This paper bag die was already out on the craft table so I decided I would use it for Fall treats as well. Here is a photo of the two Fall treat bags I have made so far:


I am trying to use pieces of ribbon and crystal bling that I have in the stash in the craft room but for my Fall projects I also wanted to use burlap for added texture to the projects. Problem with burlap is it is hard to get it to adhere to anything, it is thick and bumpy, and sheds.... Recent trip to a Hobby Lobby I found a spool of thinner burlap (sold where they sell their rolls of tulle by the sewing dept).

To make these treat bags first I used scissors and cut out two of the framed prints on the card stock. Used the ATG and put them onto cream card stock to frame them. Trimmed around the edges of those using scissors. Set those aside. Decided to make the bags using Kraft card stock so they would be good and sturdy but add to the Fall colours I would be using.

Die cut the Kraft paper bags.  Before I assembled those I decided I wanted to put a printed card stock inside the treat bag as a liner. I had enough of the pumpkin print for the bag back pieces. To cut these I measured the curved side of the die itself and then cut the pumpkin print a bit bigger than that. I die cut the print on the curved side of the die and I used the ATG to put it on the Kraft paper bag die cut piece that was still flat and unassembled. At the scalloped top I used a glue stick to get adhesive on that and I put the print on the die cut bag piece. With that in place I used tear and tape to close the bags. With this die you can close it two ways -- with the bottom flap showing on the back and also with the bottom and side flaps folded in. I closed these bags each way to show this:


With the bags made I used more pieces of scrap dotted card stock (long ago from Mikes) to put across the front of the bags. Just trimmed those to the size I wanted them to be. I used the ATG and put these on the bags. For the burlap I cut a small piece to fit on the bag front. Adhesive can show through the burlap so I was careful in how I put the adhesive on. On the scarecrow bag I used the Fabric Tac glue in the center of the burlap to put it on the bag. The scarecrow and greeting banner cover that. For the watering can bag I used tear and tape along the center of the burlap and that works just as well as the liquid glue.

When I had decided to make these treat bags for Fall I looked through the stash and found a small Happy Fall stamp in a stamp set from Divinity Design (ODBD).  Using autumn coloured inks I stamped this onto scrap white card stock and then cut them out into banner pieces for the projects. This way I have greetings in the different colours so all the treat bags will not be the same.

For the bag front I put the dotted piece across the bag front. Trimmed a burlap piece to size. I frayed the edges a little for texture. With the burlap on the bag I cut a small piece of ribbon and put that over the burlap using tear and tape. Used tear and tape behind my greeting banner piece. For the image I had cut off the printed card stock I used pop dots behind them to give the bag front some dimension.  Put them on the bags at an angle.  Added four mini crystals from the stash to the bag fronts.

Here is a photo of each bag:



These photos show the details on the front of the bags closer:




This Paper Bag die cut through the Kraft card stock easily on one pass through the Big Shot. Very easy treat bag to assemble.  Glad I came across the scrap card stock in the Halloween bin that I turned into Fall treat bags.... At least I have more use from the Halloween printed card stock. TFL


No comments: