Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Quilted Thoughts Card

** This card was chosen as a Favorites of the Week on Splitcoast Stampers by Amy and Susie notified me -- thanks both ladies! Certainly an honor with so many talented card makers on Splitcoast!  :0)   **



To make this card I used a printed card stock pack by Anna Griffin and the Fiskars hexagon punch. Punched out all the hexagons I would need for my card:


Wanted to use a hexagon shape punch for my pieces but wanted the pieces to be smaller than the recent hexagon cards I have made using the Stampin Up hexagon punch. I have a smaller hexagon punch from Fiskars and this photo shows the sizes the punches make -- yellow is Stampin Up and the green is the Fisakrs:


This card may sound complicated but it is not. To begin with I cut and scored my Celery Green card stock base and the dark pink card front piece and set those aside. I do not have the Stampin Up pad of grid paper but I do have a pack of grid paper from the dollar store so I used a sheet of that to use for lining up my pieces. Cut a piece of white/GP card stock 4 1/4 x 5 1/2. Using painters tape I taped my white/GP piece onto the grid paper:


After my white/GP was taped to the grid paper I lightly made a pencil line across and down this card stock piece using a ruler so I would have a center line for my first piece. Used the ATG and added adhesive to my hexagon pieces**. I did the center of the card design first and then onto each corner -- I did not want the corners to be exact and look the same so they are all random--some corners have more hexagon pieces and others, less:



Once all hexagon pieces were on the white/GP piece I used the trimmer to trim the pieces that hung off the card stock edge. Now is when you need to erase any of your light pencil lines you used to line up your design:


Once the hexagons were on the card stock I then used the Anna Griffin Rosa embossing folder by Cuttlebug -- since I had paper pieces on the card front I did not want the embossing folder to embossed too deeply which would cause my hexagons to separate. So I cut a second piece of white/GP card stock and put it under my pieced card front in the embossing folder for the ride through the Cuttlebug:


As you can see in the above photo I have a red dot on my B plate for the Cuttlebug--when I use embossing folders I have two B plates that I use for embossing only. The red dots let me know these are to be used for embossing folders only. With these plates always flat I get a good embossed impression on my card stock. Here is a photo after the two card stocks were embossed:


and the extra embossed card stock piece will go back in the file with this embossing folder - then if I need an embossed piece in a hurry one is already done and with that embossing folder:


Once my piece was embossed I trimmed it to the size I wanted for the card front. I then sponged the edges of this piece using River Rock ink. These photos show that:



Once this was sponged I used the ATG and put the pieced card front onto the pink card stock and then put those onto the green card stock base.

For the greeting I used the Classic Label punch and the new-to-me Stampin Up stamp set On the Grow. I stamped that using green ink and punched that out. Did not want to block the hexagon quilt pattern with a greeting tag so I put the trimmed greeting piece up against one of the hexagons at the bottom of the center design:


Added pearls to the tag edge. ** When you make a card using card stock pieces and then plan to emboss that piece be sure to butt the pieces tightly next to each other so there are no spaces. Also when you emboss this piece use an extra piece of card stock so your embossing folder does not emboss too deeply and pull apart your pieces.

This card looks very difficult but it really isn't -- just use a grid paper, a ruler, and pencil and the design will be straight. TFL and YOLO

No comments: