Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Holly Christmas Card


To begin with I had seen a card with this layout made up on "joyfulcreationswithkim.blogspot.com" and it was too cute not to make my own. I thank Kim for sharing her card and inspiration.

Not sure where to begin so decided to make a sample card first trying to figure out the size of the triangle printed card stock. Only easy way to do this??? Cut out a square piece of scrap card stock using the trimmer. Once that was cut out I used the trimmer and cut the square from the top corner to the bottom corner diagonally and this gave me my triangle. Decided the size I would need for my card front and for my square I used a piece of card stock 3 3/4" x 3 3/4". Cut it in half for two triangles.

With the triangle pattern piece cut I decided I would now cut it out of clear sheet so if I was going to make this card layout again using a directional print or maybe a print with words on it I would know if my triangle piece was straight. Here is a photo of the gray card stock triangle and next to it is the clear sheet triangle -- I just used a red Sharpie marker on the clear sheet tracing my gray triangle. I cut out the clear sheet using the trimmer:


Once the clear triangle was cut I put that over the holly printed card stock and used a light pencil line to trace my triangle and took that to the trimmer for cutting. For this card I used Stampin Up Real Red card stock for the card stock base. The cream is Close To My Heart. I trimmed that to the size that the long edge of the triangle is.

Using a holly/berries stamp from Stampabilities (Hobby Lobby) I used the 'huff technique' and markers and stamped this once in the upper corner and lower corner of the cream card stock. Using the ATG I put the holly print card stock (also Hobby Lobby) on the front of the stamped cream card stock. Put these onto the red card stock base using the ATG.

For the bow I used scrap Real Red card stock and the Bow Builder punch from Stampin Up. Put that together and set it aside. For the "merry" I used a stamp from the Stampin Up stamp set Tiny Tags and punched that out along with a scrap green card stock tag. Put this over the bow using gold twine. Added a red crystal to the center of the bow.  I put the bow and tags at the edge of the point of the triangle printed card stock using glue dots and the card was complete.

Thanks to Kim for sharing this layout and her card for inspiration! TFL and YOLO

No comments: