Saturday, November 11, 2017

Patchwork Christmas Quilt Card


To begin with I had seen this video on YouTube by Betty Traciak and here is the link to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-Md66awns&t=306s

I watched it once and then a second time to take notes for sizes and suggestions and such. She also has a written tutorial for this technique on Splitcoast that she did and here is the link to that:

www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/stackandcutquiltcards/

The written tutorial is nice since you can print it out and she also has photos of this process on her tutorial so that helps. Her cards are done in the portrait layout but since I used this pack of single sided holiday card stock from Hobby Lobby with the patterns having a direction I had to make my card in the landscape layout:


Here is the card I made following her pattern:


My card stock base is Stampin Up Crumb Cake with a piece of Mikes Kraft card stock for the card front. I will say even though my printed card stocks are single sided with having to cut 5 of them at one time my Genesis could not cut through that thickness. So to cut my patchwork pieces I used my Guillotine trimmer and that worked well. Since the front of the card has five pieces of printed card stock that is why you have to cut the five pieces of prints. This way you are not repeating a pattern on the card front. Here are the five card fronts I have from cutting out my printed pieces:


My concern with this pieced together card front was that it could be too heavy if I mounted all the patchwork pieces onto another piece of card stock for the base of the patchwork card front. For my cards I decided to used white printer copy paper cut to the size needed and I ran the ATG over that for adhesive and then put my patchwork pieces on that. Trimmed my edges and this is the back of the white copy paper backing the patchwork card front piece:


With the patchwork pieces on the white copy paper base I used the ATG and put this onto the Kraft card stock from Mikes. Then put these onto the Crumb Cake card stock base. Using the copy paper rather than thicker card stock the card front is not too heavy and does not "flop" shut from the weight of the thicker card stocks.

As she explains in her video she used the stitching stamp from the new Stampin Up Christmas Quilt stamp set for the stitching on her cards. I used the straight stitch stamp from that stamp set and stamped my stitching on my patchwork pieces using Stampin Up Early Expresso ink and when needed I used a Post It note so that my stitches do not overlap on the card front pieces. For the greeting "Merry Christmas" I used a greeting stamp from the Sunny Studio Poinsettia stamp set and red ink from Gina K Designs, Red Velvet.  Cut that out using a stitched rectangle die. Cut a scrap piece of Crumb Cake a bit larger than the die cut piece and put that behind the greeting piece using the ATG. Used large pop dots to put this on the card front.

Die cut a small holly/berries piece for the holly on the greeting. Used the clear Wink of Stella over the red berries and sponged the edges of the holly leaves with Old Olive ink and a dauber:


Put the holly/berries piece on my greeting piece using mini glue dots. Both the video Betty made and her written tutorial take the guess work out of this card and using different printed card stocks for the card front changes up the way the card looks. A big thanks to her for sharing her patchwork card technique and samples. Easy card to make!  TFL

No comments: